From:
Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:16:45 -0500
Kirstina,

I would like to add a few additional thoughts on the situation you
wonderfully raised.

I think you have two issues you want to deal with: a short-term and a
long-term concern.  The short-term is what to do with this particular team;
the long-term is how to keep it from happening again in the future with
another team.

*Short-Term Situation*:  I really like what you have already done for this
part of the problem.  What you want for this particular team and the
violating team member, is for them to realize the wrongness of what they
did.  By directing them to come up with a proposed resolution is going to
require that they all discuss what they did very seriously.
    That is going to put a lot of heat on the person who plagiarized
without telling the others.  He/she will not likely do that again.  And the
rest of the team will realize that, in the future, they need to carefully
review anything they sign and turn in as a team.
     Short-term problem fully resolved, I think.

*Long-Term Situation*:  This is where Larry's suggestion applies.  Look
carefully at how you set up and worded the application situation you gave
the class.  All application exercises should require students to (A) take
the information and ideas from some content source (e.g., text) and (B) do
something new with it.
     It isn't clear from what you have shared, but it sounds like you may
have had a somewhat extended writing assignment to be turned in from the
group - rather than "making a specific choice" or "providing an outline of
their response to a complex question" (e.g., the way Larry has students
watch a film about corruption in the NYC police department and then propose
a plan for cleaning up the department).
     With these latter two kinds of assignments, there really isn't an
opportunity to plagiarize.  So you have taken both the opportunity and need
to plagiarize away from students, i.e., they have to do original work -
which is what you want.

Thanks for raising this question.  This is a reminder for all of us to
think through both our assignments and how we respond whenever a problem
like this does occur.

My Best,  Dee Fink

--
L. Dee Fink

**Former President of the POD Network in Higher Education (2004-2005)
**Author of: *Creating Significant Learning Experiences* (2003, Jossey-Bass)
**Senior Associate, Dee Fink & Associates Consulting Services