From:
"Amboree, Latonya" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amboree, Latonya
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:39:01 -0500
Phaidra,

I am a Secondary Social Studies Helping Teacher for a large school district in Texas.  Our school district is in the process of training some of our teachers on the implementation of TBL at the secondary level as well.  In our school district, I am hearing similar complaints.  From my experience with TBL over the last couple of years, I have tried the following to address some of the same issues:

1. The preparation or background readings can be done in class, and then students can be weened off in-class readings and complete background readings at home once they have been given the tools that they need to interact with the text on their own.  For example, in my earlier modules, we complete collaborative reading activities or whole group reading activities and readings are shorter, but later modules require students to read at home and complete a graphic organizer or note-taking structure on their own and readings are longer.  Additionally, I also use video clips.  Crash Course World History, Discovery Streaming, Teacher-created videos on YouTube, and/or Hollywood produced movies serve as great preparation activities as well.

2.  The expectations that we set for our students have a lot to do with our motivation.  If you do not begin the year with high, clear expectations then you cannot expect students to function properly in the TBL process.  In order to introduce TBL, I start out with a simple module on Why Study History.  As we go through the TBL process, I take the time to explain why they will be learning in this manner over the course of the year.  Additionally, I have incorporate a variety of Kagan Structures in order to hold individual students accountable throughout the group process.  Moreover, every module has an individual evaluation at the end ranging from an exit ticket to a processing activity (i.e. wanted poster).

3.  I encourage teachers in our district to keep the same groups for the duration of the semester.  Groups must go through the processes of forming, storming, norming, and performing.  Immature students need more time to get to the level of performing than adults do.  I think that is why it is critical that teachers stick with groups.  Additionally, group participation is a privilege and not a right.  Alternative assignments are produced for the chronic nonparticipant or disrupter.  These assignments are extremely difficult and their very nature discourages students from wanting to do them.

4.  The teachers in our district that have tried the peer evaluation system don't use them for grades, but rather use them to give the students a voice.  They are only done 2Xs in each semester.

5.  World History has by far been the most challenging to create modules for, but it has also been the most rewarding.  The biggest complaint that teachers give is that they don't have time to do TBL because there is too much material.  When teachers truly learn the art of Backwards Design and learn how to chunk the material, TBL works perfect.  It allows teachers to look at the big picture and enduring understandings and not individual historical events in isolation.  For example, instead of looking at individual River Valley Civilizations, TBL could be used to determine which River Valley Civilization has had the greatest impact on modern society.

I have some lessons on the Middle Ages that I would be willing to share.

LaTonya Amboree
Secondary Social Studies Helping Teacher
Fort Bend ISD
281-620-6045