From:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 06:50:20 -1000
Ron,

I have to agree with Nick. I always take an informal poll on the first day
of class where I ask for a show of hands of students who regularly complete
readings for their classes. This semester I had 15% of the students raise
their hands. Remember, you're the exception, not the rule. Most other
faculty are teaching the textbook and only hold students accountable when
they take an exam, so motivation do students have to read? By the way, I've
been using RATs on the first day of class every week for the past 10 years
and my average scores are no different than anyone else on the listserv
(75% for iRAT and 90% to tRAT). Keep up what you're doing!

Tom

Tom DeWitt, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX)
University of Hawaii at Hilo
www.hilo.hawaii.edu/ALEX
phone: 808.987.6551
email: [log in to unmask]