From:
Tom DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:49:16 -1000
Allyson,

I have a couple of suggestions to address your issue:

- Stress the importance of attendance and on-time arrival as it relates
to the group, not the individual. Remind them that the group depends on
their attendance and contributions to help ensure their success.
- Reward on-time performance with points. I found that my attendance and
late arrival problems nearly disappeared once I dedicated 5% of the
student grade to on-time class arrival (not attendance, as late students
would be included). I project the full-screen view of the time provided
by timeanddate.com on the screen prior to the beginning of class and
check off students as they arrive. Once the time for the beginning of
class appears (e.g., 8:00 a.m.), I announce that it's time to start
class and I stop recording who has arrived.
- If students don't take the IRA or are absent for the day, they receive
a '0' for both the IRA and the TRA, unless they have a medical excuse,
as students should not get credit for something they didn't participate
in. If they have a medical excuse, I allow them to retake the IRA, but
exclude the TRA from their grade calculation.

I hope this helps!

Cheers, Tom