From:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2016 21:36:07 -0600
Jim, I have a built in standard for make up or extra credit.  If a student
misses an iRAT/T-RAT (usually the same session), they can do an article
review related to topic of the application exercise.  They get 3/4 credit
of the points of an iRAT and T-RAT combined.  My students hate me for this
but I explain that there is no such thing as an "excused" absence.  When
you are part of a team and you are not there; YOU ARE NOT THERE.  The team
has pick up your slack and you don't contribute.  The reason does not
matter.  Now the key is how do you make up for not being there?  With
today's technology, depending on why the student is absent, they could
remote in to the class and participate in the discussion.  In the past, I
had a student who was due to deliver her child.  She planned by helping
with with research for the application exercise.  She compiled their data
and made sure they were prepared.  The team gave her a bonus on her peer
evaluation.

The reason, I use the article review as the make up or extra credit is that
my students have to research to support their application exercise.  Since
they have to conduct the research anyway, this is just a little more
detailed documentation.  They are encouraged but not required to share with
their teammates.  Secondly, I hate grading extra credit.  So if I have to
grade it, then I want it to be interesting, and I want them to have put
some EXTRA  work into it. Finally, although it is extra work it's not
arduous and it's something they actually learn from.

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Campus Technology Services

*“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never
ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was. Likewise,
I never imagined that home might be something I would miss.”― Ransom Riggs,
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children*