From:
Chris Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:33:48 +0000
Bill, this is a challenging problem that needs different solutions for visibility "on campus" v "nationally". I've had some success with on campus visibility.
Since moving to the University of Illinois last summer, I've given TBL workshops for the schools of Arts & Sciences, Business, Nursing, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, The Center for Teaching Excellence, and Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services. This all came about because I attended some of the "brown bag" education meetings/journal clubs across campus and mentioned my experience with TBL. Many faculty had heard of TBL or at least peer-learning, and sought me out to give a workshop or advise them personally on the prospect of bringing TBL to their course.
Another key action was inviting faculty to observe TBL in the classroom. It's especially helpful to invite them to move among the teams and listen in on the conversations. If hearing first year medical students adamantly arguing about carbohydrate metabolism doesn't convince them to try TBL, I can't imagine what would!
Having an institutional champion can make a world of difference.
All the best,
Chris