From:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:54:13 +0800
I'm not sure how big your class is, but even with 26 and now 50
students, I believe my faculty deserve administrative help to
effectively and efficiently run the TBL sessions.  (I use admin staff,
but I may think about hiring TAs too?)

There is a lot of work in preparing the material.  I don't know if this
is a good justification but:

*         I insist that the faculty have a peer review of their TBL
sessions (promoting teamwork with our faculty).  That requires help in
scheduling meetings and getting all the draft material together.

*         Then there is the formatting the IRA/GRA/Application
questions, creating the code sheet for the IF-AT, and making copies.
That can be fairly extensive and important to keep the instructor's
material separate from the student material.

*         Then the material needs to be packaged for distribution to the
teams (folders for each team) and distributed during the session.  If
the class is large, it can be time consuming if you do not have help (or
students come up and get their packets).

*         We use clickers - so the scoring of the IRAs are easy - but it
does require someone to manage the audience response system - distribute
and collect clickers, make sure they work, attend to the computer, print
the results.

*         The staff also scores the GRAT - so that the faculty know
which questions they got wrong and which options chosen.  This is a
great help in facilitating the discussions (Group 1 - you chose A & B
before D the right answer.  What was your thinking on A & B.  Why didn't
you choose D first?, etc.)

*         The biggest challenge is then collecting the IRAT/GRAT
material afterwards.  We do collect and count to make sure everything is
turned in by all the teams.

*         Then there is the distribution ad collection of the
application folders - again could be a time sink if large class.

*         Also, with the applications, there is the recording of the
application answers (again, we use clickers - but if you score the
applications, you need to know their answers - before they flash their
cards).  Also, sometimes we have short answers - which require flip
charts (paper), posting up, and someone to record the decisions on how
each item is scored.

*         Lastly, as you said, is the clean up, which can take time.

I would not have asked my faculty to do this without help - they never
would have been able or been willing.

Sandy

WE HAVE CHANGED OUR EMAIL ADDRESS - PLEASE CHANGE TO

Sandy COOK, PhD | Associate Dean, Curriculum Development | Duke-NUS
Graduate Medical School Singapore | 2 Jalan Bukit Merah | Singapore |
169547 | W: (65) 6516 8722| F: (65) 6227 2698 | email:
[log in to unmask] | web:  http://www.duke-nus.edu.sg;

Administrative Executive: Belinda Yeo | [log in to unmask] |
6516-8511

Important:  This email is confidential and may be privileged.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us
immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose
its contents to any other person.  Thank you.