From:
"Cartagena, Autumn N [LASAS]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cartagena, Autumn N [LASAS]
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:32:50 +0000
Hi All,

I’ll be implementing TBL for the first time during the Fall of 2015.  It will be a large lecture class of first year college students.

I am “sold” on TBL working (as long as the 4 S’s are adhered to) but one question that I have is in regards to using interactive skills.

Does TBL assume that students already possess the ability to actively listen, to give appropriate feedback, effectively ask for help, etc?  Or is there something built in to teach them this that I’ve missed?  Or should TBL used to make sure these skills are in place before moving on to other content?

I can see how more developmentally advanced students would have had the opportunity to practice said skills throughout their undergraduate careers but I’ll be working with students who are only 2-3 months out of high school.

Appreciate the thoughts & clarifications you are willing to share!

Best,

Autumn Cartagena, Academic Adviser

College of Liberal Arts & Sciences

Iowa State University