From:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2013 01:32:53 +0800
Rich,

To address your first question, I'm not sure how you avoid preventing
students from waiting until 24 hrs before a RAT to prepare. I'm afraid that
procrastination is just the nature of the beast and the amount of
preparation that you've asked of them may be significantly more than they
are accustomed to in their other classes. You may want to reformulate your
modules, so that the preparation load is decreased. Perhaps 7 - 8 modules,
rather than 5. Alternatively, I found that providing review questions to
guide their readings or viewing of videos combined with open notes RATS
helps to reduce the incidents of people coming unprepared or trying to
prepare at the last minute. This also helps to reward good study habits. I
can recall students flipping through textbooks prior to class before I
instituted this practice, but now students come with their notebooks filled
with copious notes based on the review questions. I also remind students
that the questions on the RATS come directly from the review questions, so
their is even more incentive to use the review questions when preparing for
class. I've found that if properly written, the questions on my RATS yield
results similar to others using TBL (70% for individuals and 90% for
teams).

As for your second question and having taught at 8 a.m. for many years, I
have a few suggestions that may help you:
- *Make your activities meaningful and enjoyable. *I know this sounds like
a no-brainer, but I think it's important to make a conscious effort to
create activities that students appear to be actively engaged in and look
forward to. My students are constantly questioning how the exercises relate
to their individual project or the objectives of the course. Make sure that
yours do and that you explain that relationship.

*- Assign a point value and grade in-class activities*. It's amazing how a
few points get student attention. I can almost guarantee you that the
students who are not regularly attending class have convinced themselves
that they've attended the classes that really matter - those that directly
impact their grade. It's worked in their lecture based courses, so why not
here? I think you'll find that if a significant portion of their grade (20
- 40%) is given to in-class team exercises, you'll definitely get their
attention and attendance. It makes practical sense as well, as you're
signaling to them the importance of the time and effort spent on these
activities, rather than the importance of cramming for an exam during a
single class period. In addition, make sure that they understand that they
understand that they will only receive points for the team exercise if they
arrive prior to the beginning of the exercise, not a minute or ten minutes
later.

*- On time performance. *When students come into my class they see an open
grade book page on the screen at the front of the class. As they enter the
room I note their attendance by entering a '1' in the column next to their
name. When the class time arrives I enter a '0' next to the names of all
the students who failed to arrive on time, not a minute before or a minute
later. I then close the grade book and start class. The message that I send
to the students is the importance of arriving on time, whether it's to
class or at work. At the beginning of the semester I ask them how many
times they think they could show up five minutes late to work before they
get fired. Most people say two or three times. We also talk about why that
is. Generally it gets around to the fact that people are counting on them.
I emphasize that similarly, their team mates are counting on them as well,
and if they arrive late, it's likely that their teammates will need to
explain the exercise they are working on and thus impact the team's
performance. I then reiterate that their success in the 'real world' will
depend on their ability to put the needs of others (customers, employees,
peers) before their own and their experience in the course is their
opportunity to learn that lesson first hand.

I hope this helps!

Cheers, Tom

Tom DeWitt, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX)
University of Hawaii at Hilo
www.hilo.hawaii.edu/ALEX
phone: 808.987.6551
email: [log in to unmask]