From:
Adia Benton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adia Benton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:28:27 -0500
I am writing to seek advice from folks who have used TBL in
introductory medical anthropology or other cultural anthro courses. As
I redesign my lecture-discussion course to incorporate TBL, I am
having trouble conceptualizing readiness assessment activities,
particularly for the ethnographic material we will use to support the
theoretical material. I am also having to balance these concerns with
the specific challenges of course logistics (it's a study abroad
course that requires that students and faculty to travel to multiple
countries and conduct case study investigations). That said, I do
think that TBL sounds like the perfect approach for this type of
course because students are already required to work together on case
study assignments, and I have heard from others who have taught this
course in the past that students often have difficulty keeping up with
the reading and processing material because of the peripatetic nature
of the course. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Adia

Adia Benton PhD, MPH
Visiting scholar | Anthropology
Dartmouth College