From:
"Sibley, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, Jim
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:28:07 -0700
Hi Gary

We use TBL in many lower division courses

It can be difficult when there are external content covering
expectations for your course

We use TBL in a 2nd year mechanical design course and last year when we
resorted to lecturing at a difficult topic (we thought) the students
stopped us and asked what we thought we were doing! They wanted TBL

There is a good paper by Haidet et al (available at TBL site) around
active vs passive learning and they found that they could cover as much
detailed technical mathematical content as a passive delivery.

There is also a great paper by Weeks (1987) talking about the fact that
most engineering undergraduates (or at least the ones studied) see the
instructor do 1000 problems at the board....and do another 3000 in their
homework....BUT have no discernable improvement in their problem solving
skills over their program......hmmm

Read Bligh about the ineffectiveness of lectures

I think the reality is that we as academics are in love with content and
have a lot of trouble giving it up

The literature really points to our failure to effectively "cover the
content" (Ramsden has some damming quotes about this)

THE REAL QUESTION is what do you want your students to be able to
do.......reproduce lots of detail on demand.....or be able to think and
solve problems

This is very controversial....I am in the middle of a curriculum review
for one of my engineering departments and the "reducing" content issue
is always at the surface

I have instructors who just can't give up the content....they are now
using pre-class podcasts to "cover the content" so they can use class
time differently.

I am a bit biased.....I think TBL is the answer to many of the
curriculum issues we struggle with....I seen too many good outcomes in
TBL courses of all levels....

Jim