From:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 06:51:48 +0800
Actually, what we decided here in Singapore is that 50% grade will be individual and 50% team work – because we value team work as much as individual and believe the learning that occurs in teams is just as valuable.

Individual includes IRATs and any other summative assessments.

Teamwork = GRATS, Application, Peer Eval.

Peer eval is a constant 10%.  That leaves 40% to split among the GRAT/Applications – with varies from course – depending on how challenging they feel the applications are.  In general, of that 40%, we often give 25% GRAT, 15% application.

The weights for the IRATs depend a lot on how many other summative assessments there are and how many IRATS we have.  So in one course, we have 8 IRATS and no other summative assessments – so each IRAT = 6.25% of grade.

In another course they have 3 exams, 15 quizzes and 12 IRATS.  The exams are 10, 10, 5=25%; quizzes about 1% = 15%, IRATs= 10% - so about 1.25% each.   So it all depends

In addition, many of our faculty have a threshold for passing on the individual performance.  So, you still need at LEAST a 70% average individually to pass course – no matter what your total is.

Their concern was that if we had a 70% pass rate overall, one could pass by only doing well with the team work and blow off the individual.  They think that if someone was getting average of 90% in teamwork (which would give them 45% of their grade).  They THINK would mean they would only need a 25% average individually to pass course (to get an overall of 70% - thinking it is 45% + 25%).  But I have not yet been able to convince them that, they would actually have to average at least in their individual 50% ((90+50)/2=70%) to get to 70% - but even that is low to them.    So our students generally have grades between 75-85 because their individual work averages at least 70% + teamwork which averages about 85-90%

What I have noticed, though, that students who do get in the 70-75% range – usually are the lower end students, generally getting only 60-75% individually – and something we look out for.

Sandy

Sandy COOK, PhD | Senior Associate Dean, Curriculum Development |

Medical Education, Research, and Evaluation (MERE) |

W: (65) 6516 8722| F: (65) 6227 2698 |

Administrative Executive: Belinda Yeo | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 6516-8511

Important:  This email is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you.