From:
Kathryn McKnight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathryn McKnight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:37:03 -0600
Tim,

I use TBL in an Intro to Hispanic Lit course. I have also found it a challenge to design team activities that have short (reporting) answers. Some successes that I have had in this effort include:
(1) For the short story titled "Sin of Omission" by Ana María Matute (a very poetic writer): "Select the passage that best uses figurative language to express the meaning of the title."
(2) Consider you are planning an activity for a summer enrichment program for high school students. Of the following three poems that deal with the theme of death, choose the poem that would work best to engage the youth's interest and develop their critical thinking skills.
(3) Write a 1-2 sentence thesis statement that proposes a relationship between these three elements of the third act of García Lorca's House of Bernarda Alba: (a) what Adela says about the shooting starts, (b) the image of the big white stallion in the coral, (c) the dialogue between Martirio and María Josefa about the sheep María Josefa is carrying.

In each case, my aim is to have students build on their knowledge base of technical forms & their analytical skills to explain HOW a text uses LITERARY DEVICES to express a meaning/message or convey a feeling.

I hope this is helpful,
Kathy

Kathryn J. McKnight, Associate Professor and Acting Chair
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
MSC03 2100
1 University of New Mexico
(505) 277-5907