From:
Lane Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:50:01 -0500
I've read some material on the design and use of the group assignments
(three S's, etc.), but I would sure like to have a better handle on the
actual mechanics of reporting and evaluating the group decisions. The
document "Designing Effective Group Activities: Lessons for Classroom
Teaching and Faculty Development" by Michaelson, et al., takes the position
that grading the GAs is not likely to be desireable for a number of reasons.
They feel that the social pressure of inter-team discussion of the team
decisions is likely to provide the greatest motivation for excellence.

So after getting the simultaneous report of the decisions, I see that I must
question the teams and facilitate discussion to bring out the reasoning
behind the decisions.

But do you require anything in writing from each team other than yes or no;
A, B, or C, or whatever?

Do you find that the open discussion provides enough motivation for
excellence, or do you add something else?

Lane
---
Lane P. Lester, Ph.D.
Biology Instructor