From:
Fritz Laux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fritz Laux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:28:51 -0500
Responding to Jim and Gary:

I read Gary's query differently than Jim did.  Perhaps I'm wrong on this,
but perhaps a different perspective will be helpful.

Jim is answering Gary by comparing the effectiveness of TBL to lecture in
delivering content.  While Gary says he's concerned about "how much material
needs to be delivered in the traditional "sage on stage" (lecturing)
format," I'm wondering if that's really where the problem is.

Clearly, if Gary or I are really only concerned about content, then TBL
solves that problem for us when we assign extensive pre-class readings and
quiz before "lecture."  For me, the problem has not been in delivering broad
content, per se, but in providing motivation for students.

So here's my attempt at defining this "content" problem (I'm just taking a
stab at it...).  Gary questions whether or not there are good ideas for
customizing TBL for 200-level classes.  The issue with content is that, for
400-level classes (and perhaps 200-level classes in engineering programs,
like Jim's) students tend to be more interested in the material and
motivated.  For 200-level general-education classes in schools that have
large populations of otherwise-occupied students, a substantial portion of
attending students may be content to flunk their individual RAT quizzes and
hope that team scores will be high enough to let them pull a 'C' for the
semester.  When this happens student participation in team activities can
degenerate a bit.

Thus, I figure that I need to apply TBL a bit differently in a 200-level
class than I do in a 400-level class.  How might I customize?  (1) Restrict
the semester grade weight that is applied to team activities, so that it's
not too high.  (2) Include a bit more lecturing to integrate the material
covered in exercises and perhaps even to "level" in areas where too many
students seem to be completely "out of the loop."  As for item (2) in an
econ class like Gary is probably teaching, this includes for me some
class-wide lecture and discussion that I use to establishing a baseline
understanding of supply and demand.

I hope this helps.

Fritz Laux
Associate Professor of Economics