From:
Theresa Frederick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theresa Frederick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 06:58:42 -0700
At the TBL Collaborative Conference in New Orleans we heard that many of
the groups are using a 50% individual component/50% team component to
determine the final grade at many medical schools. We are piloting TBL and it
is well received by our students - who participated in determining the
weighting of exams (including OSCEs), the IRAT/GRAT, peer and team
evaluations.   In our current pilot, we found that the team components failed
to add any discrimination.  While we are still working on improving the quality
of our application exercises, the data presented at the TBLC suggest that
they won't discriminate even when well designed.  Given the fact that a major
benchmark for all students is passage of USMLE exams, do any of you have a
suggestion for possible changes that would promote the team focus but allow
students to more accurately recognize their own performance and areas they
need to work upon?  Thanks.

Karen Marcdante, MD
Senior Associate Dean for Education
Medical College of Wisconsin