From:
Gary D Lynne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary D Lynne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 07:36:12 -0500
Appreciated your post about the recordings... this was my hunch, having

tried it both ways: Your recordings help in confirming it!

Am wondering:  Have you ever tried recording the gRAT discussion after a

take-home iRAT?  I tried a few take home iRATs this semester (the first

time I had ever tried this TBL ala Michaelson approach), with the gRAT at

the beginning of the next class after the score sheets for the take-home

iRAT were turned in.   It is my guess in this case that the quality of the

group discussion is notched-up a bit, as compared to in-class iRATs, but,

only a hunch.  Upside:  More class time for other things, and, perhaps more

learning (the take home iRAT scores are always higher on average than the

in-class RATs).  Downside:  Perhaps too much just "looking up the answer"

rather than studying the material for an in-class RAT.    Also, the RATs

likely make their way into "files" (e.g. sorority and fraternity course

files)... meaning the need to revise/redo them every semester!

Gary D. Lynne, Professor

Department of Agricultural Economics and

     School of Natural Resources

103B Filley

University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Lincoln, NE 68583-0922

Website:  http://agecon.unl.edu/lynne

Phone: 1-402-472-8281

"We are always only one failed generational transfer of knowledge away from

darkest ignorance" (Herman Daly)

             "Sweet, Michael

             S"

             <[log in to unmask]                                          To

             EXAS.EDU>                 [log in to unmask]

             Sent by: Team                                              cc

             Learning

             Discussion List                                       Subject

             <TEAMLEARNING-L@L         Re: Reversing IRA/GRA - GRA/IRA

             ISTS.OU.EDU>

             05/27/2008 08:57

             AM

             Please respond to

              "Sweet, Michael

                    S"

                 EXAS.EDU>

Hi Sandy,

In my view, I think a way to make sure *individuals* are learning is to

incorporate individual assignments (e.g. papers, test, even mid-terms) into

the unit following the readiness assurance process and instructor feedback.

Any given unit could begin with a RAP, then instructor feedback and

application exercises, and conclude with an individual exam.

I have been researching the discourse processes that take place in various

TBL classrooms for three years now.  I have recordings of the dialogues

that unfold following both kinds of process:  a gRAT following an iRAT and

a gRAT *not* following an iRAT.

When students take the iRAT first, the gRAT conversations which follow

begin with a general reporting of “What did you put?” and--as differences

are quickly discovered—questions about “Why did you put that?” immediately

ensue, and the students are off-and-running, digging into the content and

teaching each other.  Most of them have thought out their answers and have

reasons for having put what they did—and they are ready to talk about those

reasons.

However, when students did *not* take the iRAT first, the conversations

were much flabbier, flatter and filled with satisficing.  There are long

periods of silence during which the students read the question, often

followed with a very hesitant “I don’t know. . .  A, maybe?”  These timid

first-tries are often siezed by the group and rarely challenged as often as

you’d like—team members just seemed relieved that somebody offered up

something as an answer, and they are eager to move on and get it over with.

I think the having students take iRAT first is important for a few reasons:

      1)       Time to read and think about the question at one’s own pace

      (not the pace of the group first)

      2)       Private weighing of alternatives and committing to one

      answer (achieving what is called “epistemic closure”)

      3)       This commitment triggers an emotional investment in one’s

      answer and makes one later need a good reason to abandon it

      (motivating them to argue toward the best thinking).

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head.  You can give it a try

if you like, but I think you’ll find that the group discussions that do not

follow an iRAT are pretty watery and unsatisfying.  At least that’s what I

found.

For what it’s worth!

-M