From:
Christine Kuramoto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:06:27 +0900
Dear Friends,

I have a question about absent team members.  In the past I've always
given students the tRAT score from their team when they missed a RAT day
and a 0 for the iRAT. I'm teaching the same 100 students in their second
round of TBL and notice the same guys tend to skip class as the last
time. My students had a tendency to be quite lenient on their peer
evaluations, so the skippers got the team points and still got pretty
good peer evaluations last year (with a few brave members commenting
"you should come to class more" but still not lowering their scores much).

I'm beginning to wonder if I should step in and say that absent students
won't get the team score for the tRAT. The tRATs are what saved a few of
them from failing last year. Am I teaching them that it's OK to be lazy
and let your team take responsibility for it? Or should I be looking at
the bigger picture that says, "See team! You have the power to let them
sink or save them. It's up to you."--which is then teaching them the
responsibility of being part of a team and what the real world is like.

Hmmmmm. . .

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Christine

--
*******
Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English