From:
Jana McCreary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jana McCreary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 17:07:55 -0400
Greetings all,

I am using TBL for the first time this fall (having been highly motivated by a wonderful presentation this summer at the Institute for Law Teaching and Learning).  In each of my Criminal Law classes (78-80 students in each class), we set up teams on the first day; the teams consisted of 5-6 people.  I now have a student who has left school.  He was in a 5-person team, leaving that team with only 4 people.  We are half-way through the fourth week of class, and we have 10 ½ weeks to go.

Would it be better for me to move a person from a 6-person team to make the smaller one have 5 people,  or would it be better to leave the 4 person team as is?  I am certain someone from a 6-person team would be willing to move.  Also, the team that is now short a person has a "problem student" on the team, and I worry that the other three don't have strong enough personalities to handle him.  Perhaps bringing in a new person would help shift that dynamic?  On the other hand, I don't want to hurt any dynamics already created.

Any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Jana

PS  By the way, we did our first iRAT and tRAT yesterday and today.  And as expected, of course, the teams far outperformed the individuals.  It was wonderfully exciting to walk around the room and listen as the teams discussed the quiz and really worked together to learn and understand the material.

Jana R. McCreary
Assistant Professor of Law
Florida Coastal School of Law
8787 Baypine Road