From:
"Sibley, James Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, James Edward
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 18:45:10 +0000
Hi

We have actually had that kind of targeting in one course…one time….one team….BUT in probably 35 other courses with 20 to 35 teams per course…we had no similar problems

What that particular team discovered was that if they flame someone and give them zero…there are more points for the rest of them….we SOLVED it by using different peer evaluation grade weighting strategy….that got rid of the zero sum incentive to flame someone…..in that particular course we also changed it to….if you are going to give someone less than 7/10 we need to have a meeting with the instructor

Since our peer evaluation is only 5% of course grade….and we have had no other problems with around 1000 teams….I don't think there is a problem we need to manage

Jim

Jim Sibley
Director
Centre for Instructional Support
Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia
2205-6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4

Phone 604.822.9241
Fax 604.822.7006

Email: [log in to unmask]<applewebdata:[log in to unmask]>

Check out http://<http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca/>www.teambasedlearning.org

© Copyright 2012, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively "message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the meesage.