From:
Alexandra Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alexandra Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:35:24 -0500
This is an excellent description of what my law students say....  "I had to teach myself" is a common complaint.  A few also nitpick the RAT questions and fight with me about why their answer is correct when is not-yes, a fight, not a discussion-it makes everyone in the class uncomfortable.  They are so competitive as to grades, the RATs seem to make them even more anxious.  There was some level of comfort after I quit using the RATS as a specific component of the grade.  Now it is part of the "class participation" grade than can raise or lower their grade by a step.  So now all my TBL is seen as Discussion Questions instead of a  series of high stakes multiple choice quizzes.  Of course, in law school we are on a fixed curve, which complicates grading incentives.

I say, keep at it, and see how it goes after a semester or two.  I get plenty of students who tell me AFTER THE EXAM, that they really think TBL helped them learn and made studying easier.  And frankly, I just can't imagine going back to teaching by lectures.  It bores me as well as them...

Alex Albright
Univ of Texas Law School