From:
Richard Sabina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Sabina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 15:18:39 -0500
Lisa:

Here is another, albeit more involved suggestion.  We incorporated
reflective writing into a 7-week course offered to undergraduate pre-med
students this past summer. Similar to the approach many take with peer
evaluation, students were introduced to reflective writing and its uses in
biomedical education during the first class meeting and were provided with
formative feedback in mid-course and summative feedback following the last
posting.

Briefly, students were required to submit three 500-1000 word on-line
postings (weeks 2, 4, and 7) that tracked their TBL experiences and how
their attitudes towards TBL evolved during the course.  In two postings
students were asked to reflect in private on their formative (week 2) and
summative (week 7) TBL experiences.   In fact, the prompts provided ahead of
the formative posting were very similar to your examples:

Week 2: Team Based Learning (Private Forum)

The purpose of this posting is to create a 500-1000 word reflection on your
experiences with team based learning in the class during the second week.
You are writing this to document your attitude and raise issues and
perspectives about the experiences for yourself and your instructors.

Consider the following questions:

What was the activity this week? What were you supposed to learn from it?

Who was involved in your team and what contribution did team members make?

What challenges came up? How did you address those challenges, turn them
into teachable moments, or suffer from them?

How did the team approach contribute to or detract from your learning
experience?

How has your experience evolved since the beginning of the semester? How can
you personally improve the experience?

The other posting (week 4) had students share their reflective writing in a
public forum in the form of creative nonfiction, imagined diary entries from
alternate perspectives, and narrative poetry.  An unexpected
outcomefollowing this posting was on-line chat between students.

At any rate, we came away with the impression that reflective writing can be
an engaging forum that promotes healthy team dynamics.  I would be glad to
provide more details, if you are interested.  Best regards.

Rick Sabina, PhD

Biomedical Education Program Director

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Rochester, MI 48309

(248)370-2755