From:
Chris Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 14:39:43 +0000

At the University of Virginia we do TBL with 156 students in teams of 6 in two different locations.
1. In a large standard format lecture hall with microphones on the tables. This works very well. Students form groups of 6 with three on each side of a table. All students can see and interact with each other and with the faculty. Unless there are microphones on the tables, faculty facilitators have to "Donahue" which slows the session and can frustrate the students.
2. In a flat circular "learning studio" with a central podium surrounded by two rings of 26 tables that seat 9. The students prefer TBL in this setting, but there are a couple problems. Because the room is flat, it is impossible for some groups to see each other across four tables and the central podium. The round tables of 9 are too big for our groups of 6 (and groups of 9 are not optimal for TBL). Our students form groups of 6 between the tables. Imagine clotting blood cells. The faculty are unable to circulate. There are insufficient number of tables for students to work 6/table and even if there were, the large diameter requires students to talk very loudly. I think rectangular tables of 6 would be better.
Regards,
Chris Burns