From:
Paul Koles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Koles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:35:01 -0400
Karla and friends:  I struggled for 7 years as my application exercises engendered frustrations for my medical students and me.  If I made them sufficiently challenging such that reasonable and well-prepared teams of students disagreed on the best answers, we had spirited discussions but endless (and sometimes mindless) wrangling about "will I get credit for my answer or not?"  I was spending hours post-application weighing evidence for alternate answers, trying to decide if they were clearly supported from the literature and the quality of students' arguments.   If I avoided this conundrum by writing questions with only one clearly best answer, all the teams usually agreed on that single answer and the passion/engagement was diminished.

Solution (others figured this out years ago):  I now do NOT grade the application exercise.   I am free to make them very difficult, intentionally putting more than one "correct" answer in the question, such that reasonable and well-informed people will disagree about the BEST answer.   As discussions unfold with evidence offered to support an opinion and critiques of that opinion by other teams, we have a rich, non-boring discussion and learning occurs WITHOUT the wrangling and despair over how many points each team will get.  I feel my applications have become more challenging and interesting as a result, and I spend fewer hours wading through post-TBL appeals.

Of course, I still grade the IRAT and GRAT.

Best, Paul

Paul G. Koles, MD
Associate Professor, Pathology and Surgery
Wright State University Boonshoft SOM
937-775-2625 (phone)
937-775-2633 (fax)