From:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:26:56 -0600
Hi Alex,

I have tried doing RATs, both individual and team, online using Moodle as
our LMS. It is possible to setup quizzes in Moodle so that students are
able to attempt a question a 2nd and third time for reduced credit.
However, in Moodle I could only setup the quiz such that the value of a
correct answer was reduced 33% with each subsequent attempt (i.e. correct
on 1st attempt = 100%, correct on 2nd attempt = 66%, correct on 3rd attempt
= 33%). I could not get it to give marks 100%, 50% and 25% similar to the
IF AT cards. But I am not sure that should matter too much.

I am sure that the quizzing function in Blackboard must have a similar
feature. In Moodle, this feature of reduced mark for each subsequent
attempt is called "adaptive mode".

As an instructor, I really appreciated the immediate feedback to me with
the quiz analysis feature in Moodle that helped me to tailor subsequent
mini-lectures to students' needs. However, I found that students found the
process finikcy (our WiFi capability in-class did not have sufficient
capacity for the required number of simultaneous users) and therefore
stressful, and that they really did prefer the tactile feel of the scratch
cards and gathering around as a team as the chosen answer is revealed to be
correct or incorrect. However, these are likely non-issues for your course
if you are doing it completely online and not in-class. I was trying to use
online quizzes for in-class RATs. I might attempt it again in the future if
the technology becomes more robust.

Cheers

Neil

Cheers

Neil

*Neil Haave, PhD* | Associate Professor (Biology) | University of Alberta,
Augustana Campus | 4901 - 46 Avenue, Camrose, AB T4V 2R3 | vox: 780 679
1506 | fax: 780 679 1129 | [log in to unmask] |
www.augustana.ualberta.ca/profs/nhaave/

*~ Earned knowledge penetrates deeper than received knowledge ~*