From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:08:02 -0500
I try to have an extra thought provoking question ready for the students to discuss if they finish the activity early.  This will typically be something that's not core to the course, so that those students who don't get to it don't miss out on crucial material, but relevant enough to stimulate interest and keep the students engaged.  I can't remember who it was, but someone who conducted a workshop on our campus about cooperative learning referred to it as a sponge activity because it soaks up the extra time.

Molly Espey