From:
Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:02:17 -0800
 HI

Most learning management systems - Moodle, BB Learn will let you do a lot
of the grades piece

We use our LMS (Blackboard Vista) to do survey of students to aid team
formation...we download the results and do sorts in excel to build teams.

there are a few team building apps out there

Rose-Hulman's team maker which basically automates the survey in my
LMS/excel sort procedure

There is also Group Rumbler....but we looked at it and it's built for a
distinctly different use than TBL...it is all about build groups not teams.
They envision that group membership changes often and you don't want to be
working with the same people on each project....it would likely be useful
in MBA programs where they like to keep scrambling the groups each
project...they also use something similar in the PBL portion of our medical
program....students are in GROUPS for each 5-6 week block...and they are
careful that you see new people each block (fairly easy in our medical
program with an intake of 150)

I just took some BB Learn training...and it has some features that will be
great for TBL....you can set gradebook columns to throw out the two lowest
grades...so you could say your 4 highest scores across the 6 test will
count....you just keep entering grades and BB Learn does the math. The
group manager with its group assignment submission could well automate the
collection of appeals and worksheets, also in Collaborate (their web
conferencing classroom) you can share different whiteboards to different
people....so you might be able to distribute problems to each
team...collect back automatically...then display them....kind of a variant
on stacking overheads

Jim

--
Jim Sibley