From:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2014 09:36:54 -0500
The in class peer rating for my classes is base on 9 assessments and the
opportunity to give a bonus.  They rate their teammates from 0-3 on each
item.  Students are instructed not to grade themselves and not to give
every student the same rating. I show them data that never in my history of
TBL have all students on the same team done the same on the iRAT (one of
the the items is "How well did the team member prepare for the iRAT?"  This
comes out in the T-RAT discussions.  If a student says, "I just guessed" or
"honestly, I didn't read that part", or "I remember in the text, it
said..." you know how well they prepared).  So I challenge them that by
abstraction it is doubtful that all the team members did exactly the same
on the rest of the measures.  They also can give one team member a bonus
(but they are not required to give anyone a bonus).

The qualitative responses ("what is the team member doing well" and "what's
one area where the team member might improve") should compare with the
score ratings.  If the team member was rate low on their contribution to
the T-RAT discussion, then the improvement should say something about
speaking up more ore studying better for the RATs.

So far this has been the most efficient way for me to gather the peer
ratings and to get the students to do them in a reasonable amount of time
as well as get meaningful feedback that I use to help the teams to
improve.  I've only had one team that seemed to game the system by
colluding on peer ratings.  I over heard them say one time "ok, who gets
the bonus this time?"  Sure enough each time one member got the bonus the
bonus from each of the other members and it rotated.  It was hard for me to
get upset with them because they were a high performing team and made sure
that everyone was participating and contributing even if a member was
absent (I over heard that one member even went to get another when they had
car trouble).

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology