From:
Elizabeth Oldland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth Oldland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 07:03:23 +0000
Hello Sandy
Our experience is that a student who failed the course and retakes it later does not appear to remember the material ( in our program they are unable to take the unit until the same semester the following year). If they do remember it and select the right answer in the RATS, it is hoped that is because they actually know that is the right answer rather than just remembering the question.  We do not allow any note taking in the class so students do not have materials to take out of the class.

Even if they remember an answer they would still need to defend that answer to their team and are unlikely to say "I know it is A because it was last year" as the team could not provide a rationale for their answer when called upon to do so in the discussion. Also, they usually don't admit they are doing the course again (which may be professionally embarrassing for post graduate students) so still need to explain why they think it is the correct answer.

Interestingly, when I use very similar TBL application questions in the end of course exams, I give marks for the correct answer, but more marks for the correct rationale (including the rationale for why the other options are incorrect or of a lower priority etc). Sometimes it would seem that a student has remembered the 'right' answer but is unable to provide an explanation so still scores poorly. I think the same is true for the TBL sessions.

regards
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Oldland
Lecturer
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Health,
Deakin University, Burwood, Victoria, 3125, Australia
Phone: 03 9244 6608 International: +61 3 9244 6608
Fax: 03 9244 6118 International: +61 3 9244 6118
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au/nursing
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B (Vic)