From:
Linda L Krypel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda L Krypel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 19:45:00 +0000
Hi folks,

Before I ask my questions, I need to provide a little background for those of you unfamiliar with pharmacy education.  A pharmacy student's entire 6th year of the curriculum is spent outside the classroom in experiential education rotating through various clinics, hospitals, community pharmacy and other sites similar to a resident physician.  These various 'rotations' have also been called clerkships or advanced practice experiences.   Students attend rounds with physicians, review drug therapy and make recommendations, educate patients other healthcare professionals and complete a myriad of other activities.  Experiential faculty or non-faculty preceptors oversee these students.

I am fairly familiar with TBL, since this spring will be my fourth year using TBL in the classroom.  However, I have been asked to develop a talk regarding how experiential faculty or non-faculty preceptors could build upon the skills students develop in our TBL-based classes during their didactic years.  Often there are only 2-3 students at any given time assigned to experiential faculty (or preceptors).  Additionally, 'bedside' consults do not easily fit into a traditional didactic TBL format.  Given the small number of students available to form a team, and understanding that the medical conditions and medications change constantly due to a potentially daily changing patient base, I am having a very hard time envisioning activities that could be utilized.

I have spoken/met with a few list serve members, and other than replicating what is done in the classroom on a much smaller scale, I haven't been able to get my brain wrapped around anything different.  Is there anyone out there already doing something either in the health care arena or some other field?   What ideas do you have for continuing and building upon the team-learning skills or benefits in an experiential setting?

Thanks in advance,

Linda

Linda Krypel, RPh, PharmD, FAPhA
Professor of Clinical Sciences