From:
"Sibley, James Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, James Edward
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2020 18:11:23 +0000
Hi Anna

I have a few TBL pieces of advice and one other idea to consider

As to TBL possibilities....

There are two that pop to mind for me...

I helped redesign a resume and cover letter writing workshop probably 15 years ago...and activities typically were built around the idea of giving students a set of different cover letters or resumes and asking them to identify the "best" something ...opening paragraph, close paragraph, whole letter...lots of possibilities...then the reporting quickly switches to...why did you pick that one? what did you like about it?  lots of specific constrained discussion. The other nice thing is students spend focused time examining all the examples.

Another writing activity comes from Sophie Sparrow and Margret Sova-McCabe at Pierce Law at the University of New Hampshire.

They have students individually create a 5 page legal brief - to answer a specific assignment prompt - then in class, they give them 1 hour to build a compilation of their teams work - best of the best. They collect both individual and team products - individual is quickly marked pass/fail (did you put some effort into this?)...the team one is marked more carefully

The other non-TBL thing I would consider is peer review. We had really excellent success with this in our 1000 student first year Introduction to Engineering course.

You can use tools in Canvas to do this, or other tools like Peer Scholar - in smaller classes, you can distribute review manually - but these tools are great for streamlining things

Here is an excerpt about this from my Centre's website

Peer Review

One way to increase the amount of feedback students get without overloading the instructor is to use student peer review. In peer review, students review and provide feedback on each other’s work. There is peer review functionality built directly into Canvas that lets you anonymously and randomly assign a specific number of peer reviews to each student. Typically each student gets tasked with reviewing 2-3 submissions from their peers. It’s a good idea for the teacher to provide structured questions or a rubric to help students review a peer’s work. There is a bit of trick to the kinds of questions you ask – you want reviewers to provide feedback more than evaluative judgments.

Linda Nilson explains this in her excellent paper, Improving Student Peer Feedback<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253602907_Improving_Student_Peer_Feedback>. The following section draws heavily on her work. This is not my work, but have reworked her words a bit, to be more useful for our context. Linda notes that peer review based on judgment-based feedback questions give students too emotionally charged tasks that they are often ill-prepared to do well.

She proposes a different slant to peer feedback questions – ask questions that only ask for a personal judgment or opinion as to that student review of their peer’s work. You are not asking for evaluative judgment, but just their experience during the review.  This lets students at different levels of academic preparation be capable of answering the questions well. The good part is that answering the questions demands that students carefully attend to the details of the work, whether it be a written paper to read, an oral presentation to listen to, or a visual product to experience. Furthermore, if the instructor wishes to grade the peer feedback that students provide, the quality of the answers is quite easy to assess.

Consider how the following don’t ask for an evaluation but ask the student/reader/audience what did it mean to you?

  *
     *
        *   Highlight (in color) any passages that you had to read more than once to understand what the writer was saying.
        *   Bracket any sentences that you find particularly strong or effective.
        *   Underline any sentences that you find particularly weak or repetitive.
        *   List below the main points of the paper/speech/project
        *   As a member of the intended audience, what questions would you have after reading the paper/listening to the speech?
        *   What do you think is the strongest evidence for the writer’s/speaker’s position? Why?
        *   What do you think is the weakest evidence for the writer’s/speaker’s position? Why

  1.
     *
        *   How to use Peer Reviews in Canvas
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10256-4152719640
        *   How to create Peer Reviews Assignments in Canvas
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10094-415254249
        *   How to automatically assign Peer Reviews in Canvas
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12827-415254250<https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13062-415278747>

Stay Safe

jim

Jim Sibley