From:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Team-Based Learning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 06:50:42 -0800
(I'm not sure if this posted the first time - I'm trying to post from the LS
site!! :) Sorry if this double posts)

I wanted to add another option that a friend of mine who uses TBL use and
one that I have used.

My friend had a student who did NOT want others to know about his learning
disability. So having him take the iRAT outside of class and come in late
wasn't an option because a) the team would think he was "slacking" on the
RAT or b) they would figure out his situation. My friend had him take it at
the testing center. Then, for class, the student would "retake" the RAT for
show. The RAT grade he got was the one he earned on his test center RAT -
the in-class one was simply discarded.

Another thing I have done was left option the possibility to toss out iRAT
scores for some disabilities. I had a student with short term memory
problems and any multiple choice type tests were really difficult for her.
However, she found the gRATs to be a great learning tool given how she was
able to learn (she said that about the whole TBL method actually) since the
discussion would "trigger" her memories and she was a great team member. In
the end I didn't have to toss her scores since she did great in the class
and totally earned her A. I don't think this is appropriate for most
learning disabilities, but in some situations you just have to make it work!

Erica