From:
Lori Ann Roness <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Ann Roness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:08:53 -0400
I used to assign some critical thinking documents to students as background
documents but I dropped them eventually because the students never read them
and I chose to integrate the concepts more actively. These are the documents
I assigned:

1.     Critical Thinking in Everyday Life: 9 Strategies
http://www.criticalthinking.org/articles/sts-ct-everyday-life.cfm
2.    Critical Thinking & Teaching Students How to Study and Learn (Part
One)
http://www.criticalthinking.org/articles/sts-ct-teaching-students-study-lear
n-p1.cfm
3.    Critical Thinking: Teaching Students How to Study and Learn (Part Two)
http://www.criticalthinking.org/articles/sts-ct-teaching-students-study-lear
n-p2.cfm
4.    Critical Thinking: Teaching Students How to Study and Learn (Part
Three)
http://www.criticalthinking.org/articles/sts-ct-teaching-students-study-lear
n-p3.cfm
Critical Thinking: Teaching Students How to Study and Learn (Part Four)
http://www.criticalthinking.org/articles/sts-ct-teaching-students-study-lear
n-p4.cfm

I would strongly recommend going to criticalthinking.org It had a lot of
good information and years ago, I was in touch with someone there
specifically about pedagogy who ended up being extremely helpful. It has
been a while since Iıve reviewed that website but I see that it is still
active and it might have some good tools for you.

Good luck.

Lori Ann

On 2017-02-16, 11:49 AM, "Kusar, Mika" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I teach an undergraduate Organizational Behavior course and use TBL.  Often
> students see OB concepts as common sense and/or do not recognize underlying
> complex underlying dynamics.  They make assumptions that their initial
> assumptions are correct and fail to investigate further.  Additionally,
> because we experience Organizational Behavior every hour of every working day,
> the difference between memorizing the concept and/or theory and being to apply
> it in the moment is monumental.
>
> I am looking for any powerful videos and/or papers to help students learn what
> critical thinking is and how it transforms their approach to
> situations‹perhaps clarifies the difference between memorizing facts and being
> able to apply those in the moment.
>
> Also, I commonly have students apply several theories to a situation and rank
> the theories in order of those that best explain the situation and outcomes.
> They must use the theory to determine what the theory would predict, outline
> the central tenets of the theory, and then test the theory on the situation.
> Iım not sure they feel that is a useful exercise so if anyone has
> recommendations about introducing the significance of critically appraising
> theories, I would welcome those as well.
>
> Sincerely,
> Mika Kusar

Lori Ann

--
Lori Ann Roness Consulting
Ph/Fx: (506) 536-2223

Specializing in research, proposal development and community development for
First Nations, Aboriginal communities, Aboriginal organizations, non-profit
organizations, and for-profit companies.