From:
Elizabeth Oldland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth Oldland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:30:33 +0000
Hi Vanessa

The way I see it, the IRAT/TRAT process is about assessing readiness to learn and apply the key course concepts to real problems. So readiness testing should not take much time and should not be the focus of the session. However, as it counts towards final grades, and as we expect our students to come prepared having accessed study materials and online lectures guided by intended learning outcomes out of class time, we keep the whole assessment aspect within class time.

In our 2 hour post graduate critical care nursing TBL classes, we have 15 minutes for IRATS, 20 minutes for TRATS and then the rest of the time on the application exercises.

As it is so difficult to write really good material, we chose to keep the whole RAT process in class to keep the materials reusable.

regards
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Oldland
Lecturer
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Health,
Deakin University, Burwood, Victoria, 3125, Australia
Phone: 03 9244 6608 International: +61 3 9244 6608
Fax: 03 9244 6118 International: +61 3 9244 6118
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au/nursing
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B (Vic)