From:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:12:29 -0600
Here is another article that discusses the merits or role of the lecture:

Friesen, N. (2011). The Lecture as a Transmedial Pedagogical Form A
Historical Analysis. Educational Researcher 40(3): 95-102.
http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/0013189X11404603

I don't think that lecturing is necessarily bad (though it can most
definitely be done poorly... just like active learning can be implemented
poorly). But that lecturing ALL the time is a poor teaching strategy. And
many of us in the TBLC know this - we all make use of the mini-lecture when
an intervention on the part of the instructor is necessary to advance our
students' learning.

Cheers

Neil

*Neil Haave, PhD*
Associate Professor, Biology
Managing Editor, *CELT
<http://celt.uwindsor.ca/ojs/leddy/index.php/CELT/index>*
Vice-President, AIBA
<http://www2.mtroyal.ca/~tnickle/AIBA/AIBA_website/AIBA.html>
Faculty Affiliate, CTL
<http://uofa.ualberta.ca/centre-for-teaching-and-learning/about-ctl/people/faculty-affiliates>
McCalla Professor
<http://uofa.ualberta.ca/centre-for-teaching-and-learning/awards/mccalla-professorships>

University of Alberta, Augustana Faculty
Rm C155, Science Wing, Classroom Building, Augustana Campus
4901 - 46 Avenue, Camrose, AB, CANADA   T4V 2R3

email <[log in to unmask]> | Augustana dossier
<http://www.augustana.ualberta.ca/profs/nhaave/> | Google+
<https://www.google.com/+NeilHaave> | blog
<http://activelylearning2teach.blogspot.ca/> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/nhaave> | LinkedIn
<https://ca.linkedin.com/in/neilhaave>

"*We do not learn from experience . . . we learn from reflecting on
experience*" - John Dewey