From:
Meghan Gillette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meghan Gillette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 13:55:10 -0500
Hello Everyone,
  Here at Iowa State University, we have about 30 TBL faculty from across
the university who are both interested in and have already initiated some
scholarship on TBL. We call this newer group the TBL Scholars. Our
(unofficial) "vision" for this group is that individuals/groups of faculty
members will pursue both internal and external funding opportunities as
well as produce scholarship on a multitude of aspects of TBL.    The TBL
Scholars have a lot of energy, a lot of great ideas (well we think so at
least!), and a high level of commitment.  At ISU we also have a new Grants
Hub, which is a comprehensive research services hub available to assist
faculty with (among other things) obtaining funding and managing projects.
We are partnering with the Grants Hub, and feel it will be a huge help to
us.

We have a few questions for those who have experience with such a group
and/or could provide insights into this new endeavor.

  As we grow into this new group, we anticipate having individuals and/or
small subgroups within TBL Scholars who will lead research projects on TBL
(i.e. those who have the time and interest will be involved in a project
about using technology in the TBL classroom, for example, while others who
are interested in survey methodology and creating sound survey instruments
for use in TBL classrooms may be on that project). This is what we
envision. So here is one of our first questions: *Has anybody else had a
big group of faculty who have pursued projects/funding in smaller
subgroups? If so, how did you manage this (i.e. balancing the big group
with the smaller groups) and did you encounter any pitfalls? Anything that
worked really well? *

  We have been advised by the Grants Hub to really establish ourselves as a
group - i.e. to have a website, etc. so that we are visible to others -
increasing our visibility and lending credence to our work within our own
university but also being visible to others at different universities,
potentially leading to cross-university collaboration.  Here's the second
question: *Does anybody know of a TBL Scholars-like group that has a
website already, and could you send around the website? *

  *We are open to any and all wisdom/comments/insights, even if it doesn't
pertain to the questions above!* We are a new group but are very much
looking forward to taking the next steps in establishing some solid
research projects surrounding TBL at our university.

Also, we are looking forward to the TBLC newsletter - Research Roundup!
Very exciting!

Thanks everyone for your time!
Meghan

--
Meghan Gillette, MA, PhD
Department of Human Development and Family Studies