From:
Robert Yantorno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Yantorno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:07:54 -0500
Hi Miranda -

One thing I found very helpful is for the students to interviewing
alumni about their job description and duties. The way I have outlined
is the best way to that your institution can connect with its alumni is
and is very positive and indicates your institution cares about their
alumni without asking for money. It also gives the student interviewer a
chance to get input directly from recent graduates. The interviewer will
definitely trust the graduate more so than the professor/instructor.

I learned a lot from the interviewees results as to what was useful
about importance in industry. For example, one results of a practicing
engineer interviewed stated that more than 90% of the work time involved
communication and ONLY 10% involved calculations which is totality
opposite to what students think are even how they are educated in
school. Most engineering students think engineering is ALL about
computation and hardly anything about communication - which is ironical
because engineering practice is much more about communication than
education. One thing I did ask of the students was ask for a written
report from each student and an oral presentation from each student but
I am sure this could very easily being integrated into the TBL format.

Glad to answer any question about the assignment.

Good luck!

Bob