From:
Sheila Pinchin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sheila Pinchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 19:36:18 +0000
Some key issues and solutions for us at Queen's:

We have swivel chairs to transform from lecture mode to team mode.  Our tiers support 2 rows each and 3-4 students in the front row swivel (chairs do not have recoil!) to make a team with the 3-4 students behind them.  Our desks are long but the students use only portions of them.  I wish we had round desks!  :)  But we built multipurpose rooms, so lectures had to be accommodated too.

We have a monitor at the end of each desk so students can plug in and share with the team.  This has turned out to be quite useful.

You need microphones so each group can be heard when sharing in a large venue.  We have microphones built into the desk and students can open them up when they are talking to the whole room.

Baffles--this accords with what Larry said about sound--baffles prevent sound from being lost in the ceiling while also preventing echoes.

Be careful with tiers--we have steps and it's easy to trip as the facilitator roaming the room or (as I recently did) walking backward :)  NOTE:  we have ramps only at the sides which means there are whole portions of the room which are not wheelchair accessible.

I wish we had whiteboards still--instead we have only e-smart boards,which student teams can't come up and write on , and on which we(Facilitators) can't write notes down on  or create a "Parking Lot" for questions that need answering later.

All our controls for things are behind a stationary podium.  We've bought pin-on microphones and wireless mice for those of us who hate teaching from behind a podium and would like to move around.

We project on 3 screens at the front, as our space is wider than long.  However, you could think about screens at the back, or projection onto monitors at each long desk.

I'll try to hunt up some photos of our spaces, but feel free to contact me individually.

best,

Sheila

Sheila Pinchin
Manager, Educational Development & Faculty Support,
Undergraduate Medical Education
Queen's University

613.533.6000, ext. 78757