From:
Nicholas DiFonzo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicholas DiFonzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2020 18:58:25 +0000
I am at a school that has a college for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. On average, 25% of my classes are deaf/HoH, and having an interpreter is the rule. In your situation, besides the accommodations suggested so far, I find that the team will need to become mindful of taking turns when speaking. This may tend to slow down communication between the English speakers. It is also helpful if one or two other students on that team happens to use ASL. We have a note taker for students, and it would be helpful to have this (or a volunteer) note taker on that team to make sure that the student can review any "notes" from the discussion. Probably most important, if the team could have people that are likely to take responsibility (e.g., more mature, more concerned?) for making sure that the HoH student is included, etc. When this last element happens, it has worked fairly well.

-Nick

Nicholas DiFonzo, Ph.D.

Professor of Psychology

Department of Psychology

18 Lomb Memorial Drive

Room 1-2363

Rochester Institute of Technology

Rochester, NY 14623 USA

Phone: 585-475-2907

Skype: nicholas.difonzo

Faculty Website*Personal Website

Rumor Psychology: Social & Organizational Approaches

The Watercooler Effect: A Psychologist Explores the Extraordinary Power of Rumors

Rumor-Gossip-Research Google Group

*Note: I typically process my email to zero around 10 AM and 4 PM each weekday.