From:
Mark Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2019 15:11:02 -0700
Hi everyone -

I've been using the Michaelsen method of peer evaluation for the last
several years, but this year I decided to try the Fink method for the
first time. I'm looking at the results from my class, and I see that
most students gave all of their teammates a full score of 10, which was
to be expected because that is usually what happens in my classes. But a
few students gave each of their teammates a score of less than 10, which
was permissible according to the rules but seems potentially problematic
now that I think about it.

In the case of one particular student on a team of 6, they gave each of
their teammates a 9, whereas all other member of the team gave everyone
a 10. As a result, the student who gave 9s ends up receiving a Fink
multiplier equal to 1.017 (because their average individual score is
greater than the average team score), whereas the students who gave 10s
receive a Fink multiplier score equal to 0.997 (because their average
individual score is lesser than the average team score). The difference
between the multiplier scores is small, but the fact remains that the
student who gave 9s ends up receiving a higher multiplier simply by
virtue of downgrading their teammates, which doesn't really seem fair or
like a desirable feature of peer evaluation. If a student has reason to
believe that their teammates will probably give out full scores of 10,
then the student could intentionally "game the system" by giving all
sub-10 scores, thereby securing for themselves a higher multiplier.

Has anyone else seen this as a problem? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Thanks,
Mark

--
Mark Stevens, PhD, MCIP
Chair, Masters of Community & Regional Planning Program