I am working on a new research project that touches on several different areas – TBL, active learning, value of working with others, critical thinking skills, thus a vast body of previous literature. I would appreciate if those in the TBL world would share what they think might be relevant peer reviewed publications in case I might be overlooking important references. I am most interested in more recent publications, maybe 2016 to present.

A short description of what I am doing: I am comparing TBL to a non-TBL class in which I use the same instructional elements of TBL (RATs, 4S activities) except there are not organized teams. Students are encouraged, but not required, to work with others. I am comparing differences in academic performance (RATs and exams) as well as changes in responses to survey questions related to students’ attitudes about working with others and development of certain critical thinking skills, as well as some more general questions about the course and instructional methods.

I’d love to know of more recent TBL (or other active learning) articles considering student attitudes and CT skills as well as any studies comparing TBL to other active learning methods rather than TBL to lecture. I am only aware of one so far (“Learning effects of the flipped classroom in a principles of microeconomics course” by Craft and Linask) that attempts to control for as much as I do to isolate the impact of the teaching method (in their case the flipped classroom, in mine the structured teams).

Thank you in advance!

Molly Espey, Professor
John E. Walker Dept. of Economics
312H Wilbur O. and Ann Powers Hall