Dear Team-Based Learning Science Community,

We all know the power of teamwork in enhancing learning in our classrooms.  Are you familiar with how the power of teamwork impacts our research as well?  I'm writing to let you know about the upcoming annual Science of Team Science conference, hosted by the International Network for the Science of Team Science (INSciTS, https://www.inscits.org/).  As you may know, INSciTS is dedicated to understand and improve scientific teamwork, bringing together thought leaders from a broad range of disciplines.

The INSciTS Conference serves as a point of convergence for team science practitioners and investigators studying science teams, engages funding agency program staff to provide guidance on developing and managing team science initiatives, and affords data providers and analytics developers insight into team tracking and analysis needs.

This year, the conference is in the Washington, DC metro area, at The Bethesdan Hotel.  We've extended the room block deadline to July 7th.  The Bethesdan is offering us a rate of $169/night, which is a great deal for the Washington, DC metro area.  To make your hotel reservation, or register for the conference, please go to https://julnet.swoogo.com/inscits2023/3347366.

Also, we wanted to let you know about our great set of keynote speakers.  INSciTS is working hard to connect with other communities in the scholarly study of science.  We have Carla Fehr at the University of Waterloo, from Philosophy, who has been doing important work in gender and science. We also have Lingfei Wu, at the University of Pittsburgh, from the Computer and Information Sciences, who has been making advances in the study of team science through big data analytics.  More information on their backgrounds is provided below.

Thank you and please let us know if you have any questions ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Wayne McCormack
TBLC Expert Advisor and Past-President

Wayne T. McCormack, PhD
Distinguished Teaching Scholar & Professor
Department of Pathology, Immunology & Laboratory Medicine
MD-PhD Program Co-Director
University of Florida College of Medicine

Clinical & Translational Science PhD Program Director
TL1 Principal Investigator/Program Director
Translational Workforce Development Co-Director
Office of Biomedical Research Career Development Director
UF Clinical & Translational Science Institute

(352) 294-8334
http://mccormacklab.pathology.uf.edu<http://mccormacklab.pathology.uf.edu/>
[UF Health email signature logo]<https://creativeservices.ufhealth.org/files/2013/07/UF-Health-email-signature-logo.png>

Vice President, International Network for the Science of Team Science (INSciTS)
[Image result for inscits]

INSciTS 2023 Keynote Speakers

Carla Fehr, University of Waterloo
Creating diverse, high functioning teams: From theory to practice and back again

Carla Fehr earned her PhD at Duke University and is a faculty member in the Philosophy Department at the University of Waterloo, where she holds the Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy. Carla brings 25 years of diversity work to the table and has received support from the National Science Foundation, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada. In addition to teaching courses on gender and STEM she has published her research on this topic in academic journals across a variety of disciplines.  Dr. Fehr has also mentored women in fields ranging from molecular biology, to physics, to computer science and engineering, and helped numerous organizations develop strategies for improving their culture for women and all employees. She founded Championing Women in STEM to provide career coaching for STEM women and leadership education for teams seeking to improve diversity and the work experiences of their diverse members and has developed outreach programs about gender and STEM reaching people from 20 countries including stakeholders from industry, education, government, and research sectors.

Lingfei Wu, University of Pittsburgh
Spanning Boundaries and Building Bridges in the Study of Science

Lingfei Wu is faculty with the School of Computing and Information, University of Pittsburgh. His primary research interests are in the Science of Team Science and Innovation. He employs advanced research techniques like big data analysis, complexity sciences, and AI to investigate how science and technology can advance through team collaboration. His research has been published in prestigious journals like Nature and PNAS and featured in renowned media outlets such as The New York Times, Forbes, The Atlantic, and Harvard Business Review. Lingfei Wu also advises organizations like Novo Nordisk Fonden and John Templeton Foundation on the use of data science to evaluate teamwork in science. He has received multiple awards for his research and teaching, including the NSF Career Award, Richard King Mellon Award, and Oxford Martin School Fellowship.

[cid:image003.png@01D9AF2A.5D15D760]