Hi John,

I used to use the Fink method and had similar issues. I inflate or deflate
both the team quiz and the application exercise points in a student's grade
and set a threshold below which a student fails the course.

Some years ago I switched to the Koles method of doing the teammate
evaluations. Students rate each other on 12 categories of performance as a
teammate and then offer two qualitative comments, one identifying the
teammate's greatest strength, the other making one suggestion for
improvement.

I find the feedback instrument teaches the students about being a good
teammate.

I establish ranges of scores that will lead to inflation/deflation of the
team points in the grade and bound the bump or reduction at between 5 and
10% inflation or deflation.

Here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFDQBLJoqjn4ezua50ke0aARJix_hZUSuN5XSZpnXTXvvAUw/viewform?usp=sf_link>
is the form I used this term. "Never" = 0; "Always" = 3 points.

Cheers,

Phil

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 4:27 AM John Gotwals <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m looking for some peer evaluation guidance.
>
> I use peer evaluations to adjust students’ averages across the team
> quizzes. I use the Fink Method to conduct this adjustment. This is where
> the ratio of the student’s average peer evaluation score and the team’s
> average peer evaluation score is multiplied against their average across
> the team quizzes.
>
> This works great, except in cases where there is one team member that gets
> a peer evaluation score that’s much, much lower than their teammates. This
> pulls down the team average and results in the person with the low
> evaluation taking a big hit on their team quiz score while the other team
> members get a big boost (sometimes adjusting their team quiz scores well
> above 100%).
>
> To deal with this I’ve thought of treating the team member with the really
> low evaluation as an outlier, removing their score from the adjustment
> calculations, and just applying a set deduction to their team quiz average.
> The challenges with this approach are:
>
>    - What criteria do I use to identify outliers? How much lower do their
>    peer evaluation scores have to be from those of their teammates?
>    - How much of a set deduction should I apply?
>
> Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Any suggestions or thoughts? I’m
> all ears!
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
> *********************************
> John K. Gotwals, Ph.D.
> <https://www.lakeheadu.ca/users/G/jgotwals/node/17457> (he/him)
> Associate Professor & Graduate Coordinator
> School of Kinesiology <http://kinesiology.lakeheadu.ca/>
> Lakehead University <https://www.lakeheadu.ca>
> 955 Oliver Rd.
> Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 5E1
> Canada
> phone: 807 343-8010 ext 7952
>

> *Lakehead University resides on the traditional territory of the Fort
> William First Nation **and the Ojibwe, Odawa, and Pottawatomi nations,
> collectively known as the Three Fires Confederacy**. I am grateful for
> the opportunity to base my work out of that territory. *
>
> *Are you ok?* Our How to ask for Help
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CShaNXhajf0vbT8oCmBao3aQo_HX45QT/view>
> at Lakehead guide was made for you.
>
> *Need to talk to someone right now?*  Good 2 Talk <https://good2talk.ca/>
> is a free, confidential 24/7 post-secondary student helpline. Call
> 1-866-925-5454 or text GOOD2TALKON to 686868.

> the UBC IT website.

Pacific University inspires students to think, care, create, and pursue
justice in our world.