This is one of the most common methods, and a lot of people like it. It
does have a flaw, or challenge, though, however you want to put it, which
relates to John's concern about the Fink method: it punishes team members
with no 'bad' teammate to 'dump' low points on. If my team of 6 has a team
member who I believe was very low quality, I might assign my 50 points
along the lines of 12, 12, 12, 12, 2. But if I have no especially poor team
members, then I might assign scores of 11,10,10,10,9; all of those
individuals would have gotten a higher score if they were on a team with a
poorly-performing member on it. Yet it is not our goal to award
points/grades based on whether people happen to have a poorly performing
team member.

I never noticed this until a student pointed it out to me, but since then I
have switched to a straight series of Likert scales with no tolerance for
unrealistically high or similar ratings (they must re-do the eval with a
penalty assigned to their own score). This also helps focus the rater's
attention on specific learning behaviors (were they on time, did they teach
concepts to other team members, were they only performing class-related
activities during class time, etc.), possibly decreasing the extent to
which their simple liking-or-not of the person influences their scores. (I
have no evidence for this, though).

Of course, any method has positive and negative aspects, and we have to use
something.

Sarah Leupen
Biological Sciences