I have a new article published in the International Review of Economics Education: “Variation in individual engagement in team-based learning and final exam performance” available free at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1477388022000184?dgcid=author – until November 3rd.

Abstract
I analyze the relationship between individual contributions within a team in a team-based learning environment and performance on the final exam in three different economics courses over thirteen years. All students are assigned to teams but vary in their degree of engagement or effort in the learning activities in the classroom. Controlling for both general and course-specific academic ability, I document individual learning gains, as reflected in final exam scores, associated with higher levels of engagement in team activities, as reflected in peer evaluations. A one standard deviation increase in an individual’s average peer evaluation above the mean correlates with a 2 to 3 percentage point higher final exam score, a result that generally holds for all class levels, grade point averages, and by gender.

Molly Espey, Professor
John E. Walker Department of Economics
Wilbur O. and Ann Powers College of Business
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634

[Tiger_CB__copur]