Larry, thank you for this eloquent defence of closed book RATs.

I started my TBL practice with closed book RATS which worked very well.

I switched to open book during lockdown because – well – it’s hard to enforce closed book online.

This required changing the RAT questions to ‘low level application questions’

It generally worked well and I kept the practice in person, because it removed the need to ‘invigilate’ the RATS (which can be a pain).

However on reflection I do think that team dynamics were impaired, and for exactly the reasons you outline.

Also the differentiation between team score and individual score was not quite as pronounced as before – though I need more data to show this rigorously.

So I think I will go back to closed book RATS this upcoming semester.

Great discussion, thanks for starting it Derek.