Hi

I will send some stuff this afternoon

We have an 1800 student introduction to engineering that uses aspects of TBL

We spent almost a quarter of a million dollars rebuild it in 2015

Jim

Sent from my Phone

On Jun 14, 2022, at 3:01 AM, Ernie Ghiglione <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

G'day Steve,

Imperial runs TBL lessons with a cohort with 420 students.

At the beginning they were running them in two classrooms, splitting the same TBL learning design into each classroom running simultaneously.

However, the last time they ran a TBL lesson with this cohort, they decided to run it with a single classroom all 420 in the same TBL about 6/7 students per team. The TBL lesson finished about 10 minutes later than the previous ones (the ones where they were split in two).

While I wasn't in the room when they ran this, I wouldn't know about the acoustics though. Will find out for you though.

Recently, Universidad de Chile ran a TBL (in Spanish) in a single room with 300+ students. I was in the room and while the classroom was not a TBL classroom (rather a traditional auditorium type classroom), rather than the noise, students complained more about the disposition of chairs (according to the after session students' survey).

For reporting, we have implemented features (see likes) that allow teams to decide which challenges or burning questions should be addressed first. So even before tRAT discussion happens, the teams can tell the facilitator/content experts which one should be addressed first. That pushes the prioritisation of conversation to students, which works very well in keeping things on point and on track.

To prevent disengagement, with LKC medicine in Singapore we did a research project where we implemented a quick and non-intrusive mini-survey (discussion sentiment) while clarification sessions are happening at the tRAT or AEs that will let you know the overall relevance of the discussion happening.

So I think you can make it work, just need to ensure that you have the right systems in place to track engagement and reporting throughout all the stages of the TBL lesson.

Thanks

Ernie