So I experimented with the Mini TBL process where in a single class period students complete a short iRAT, T-RAT, any appeals, I review every question. Then they do an application exercise.  The first one went ok.  I just forgot to give them a 15 min time limit on the application exercise and one team spent way too much time researching their answer.

On the second try I decided to increase the number of questions from 5 to 7.  I have several students get none or only 1 correct.  The highest score was 4/7.  I had provided them with a review that told them what to focus on and yet this was the result.

Needless to say their T-RAT scores were lower as well but for most items they got it correct on the second try.

When this happens class wide I can't help but feel I did something wrong. Any thoughts?

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Adjunct Professor of Psychology and Student Development

“Keep working, keep striving, never give up.  Fall down 7 times get up 8.
Without commitment, you’ll never start. But more importantly, without consistency, you’ll never finish.
Ease is a greater threat to progress than hardship.  So, keep moving, keep growing, keep learning.
See you at work.

― Denzel Washington,