Useful thoughts! I go even further…

For example, I have asynchronous iRATs, and that means that teams can get together and discuss their answers before the (synchronous) tRAT which I do in class. I don’t explicitly mention it as a possibility so I neither encourage nor discourage. In any case most teams don’t take advantage of this option, but a couple do, you can always tell because they finish the tRAT really quickly. I am perfectly happy with that, it builds team cohesion which is after all the end goal.

Now in theory, some teams could get together even before the iRATs and discuss their answers, effectively doing the iRATs as a tRAT. My view is that if they did that we would lose the individuality of the iRAT but they would be working more closely as a team which again is the end goal. So yes this would ‘subvert the process’ but actually have a rather beneficial outcome. It’s all a bit theoretical as even a superficial examination of the iRAT distributions show that no teams actually do this in practice.

I do ‘open book’ RATs which are effectively low level application questions. I also reuse the RATs from year to year (with minor tweaks following review), I teach a Masters course (1 year) and so far I have not detected any sign of the cohorts getting hold of the RATs from previous years (at least their scores don’t suggest this!). I also start my online sessions 15 minutes early so teams can get together in breakout rooms (usually this is before a summative team assessment but sometimes before a RAT).

If this gives concern around assessment integrity, then a move to formative RATs would enables you to be more relaxed about ‘plagiarism’

Hth

Steve