We mostly do 5 question RATs….some course still do 10 questions

Jim and Amanda from home

Here is a quick reply from my iPad

On Feb 4, 2022, at 3:36 PM, Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

So I just responded to my student evals from the fall.  As usual, the more vocal students railed against the RAP.  Even though we spent two weeks going over the syllabus and I explained the rationale for both the RAP and formative assessment, they still questioned the testing before lecturing (btw I do provide a brief study guide with instructions like "be able to tell the difference between...").

I explain the rationale to the powers that be and the students even parrot that I don't lecture over what they already know.  In the spirit of academic freedom, I feel I have cover.

I was thinking the other day about another idea.  So first let me say that my IRQ/TRQ's (i label them quizzes to try to reduce the tension) are prolly too long.  I have reduced some to 20 items but 25-30 is my norm.  I'm totally convinced 30 is too long because they barely finish in a single class period.

For some reason, during the last RAP, I flashed on the idea of a mini RAP.  What if the IRQ/TRQ was only 5 questions? the individual would take less than 10 min.  The team would take less than 30 min. including appeals.  I could review and even do a mini Application Exercise within the class period.  This might be one way to go in deep on a particular topic.  Has anyone tried something similar?  I have when I did workshops for faculty on TBL but I haven't with a regular class.   Any thoughts?

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Adjunct Professor of Psychology and Student Development

“Keep working, keep striving, never give up.  Fall down 7 times get up 8.
Without commitment, you’ll never start. But more importantly, without consistency, you’ll never finish.
Ease is a greater threat to progress than hardship.  So, keep moving, keep growing, keep learning.
See you at work.

― Denzel Washington,